What is Vaporizing?
A marijuana vaporizer, commonly referred to as a vape, is the alternative method of smoking cannabis. It has become the preferred method of cannabis consumption due to the variety of health benefits that vaping has over smoking. Vaporizers work by heating up and vaporizing cannabis oil or dry herb cannabis without burning the substance.
BENEFITS OF VAPING
Smoking is known to cause a plethora of health issues including lung cancer, upper respiratory issues, and even simply the fact that your lighter keeps getting stolen. Vaporizing, on the other hand, eliminates many of these issues, therefore leaving this method of intake as the healthier choice.
- Eliminates respiratory and breathing problems caused by smoking
- Limits second-hand smoke
- A smaller amount of cannabis is needed than when smoking
- Tastes better when vaping
- No odor
- Less toxic chemicals
- Less expensive than smoking
- Minimal cleanup and no messy ashes
- Prevents lung irritation
4. Hardly any smell, only a faint herb odor that allows you to be more discreet.
How is a Vaporizer Healthier than Smoking?
Why Else Should You Vaporize?
Smoke vs Vapor
Cannabis Vaporizer Study from 2004:
Oil vape pens are the most portable of all vapes as well as the most reserved; in other words, vape pens are simple, discreet, and covert. This type of vape is ideal for people on a lower budget as well as people who travel.
DRY HERB VAPES
This vape is also great for traveling. Because it’s a battery-powered, flower-based product, dry herb vapes are also referred to as a flower vape pen. Unlike oil vape pens, dry herb vapes allow you to have more control over the amount of vapor that is consumed.
This vape is ideal for those who work from home as they require to be plugged into an outlet. These vapes also allow you to control the temperature of the device and they are also a type of dry herb vaporizer.
HOW EACH WORK
1. OIL VAPE PENS
Cannabis oil is the element that is extracted from a cannabis plant and used as the liquid for oil vape pens. You can even purchase flavored oil, such as mint or butterscotch.
- Oil Cartridge
- Rubber Mouthpiece
Preparing Your Oil Vape Pen:
- Unscrew the battery from the oil cartridge and charge it with a USB charger. When the light turns green, the battery is charged.
- Unscrew the rubber mouthpiece from the other end of the pen and simply pour the oil into the tank.
- Put the rubber mouthpiece back on by screwing it back into place. Make sure the mouthpiece is screwed on tightly.
- Screw the battery back on to the other side of the pen.
Using Your Oil Vape Pen:
- Steadily intake for about 8 seconds to avoid overheating.
- It is recommended vaporizing in 10-minute increments until satisfied.
- If your pen starts feeling too hot, let it cool down to avoid burning the oil.
- If your Vape Pen has a button, hold down on the button while inhaling and release the button to stop inhalation.
- When finished, lock your vape pen by clicking the button 5 consecutive times.
2. DRY FLOWER VAPES
Dry herb vapes are also referred to as flower vaporizers. This is because these type of vaporizers require the use of crushed up cannabis leaves as opposed to cannabis oil. If smoking cannabis irritates your lungs, a dry herb pen is your best option.
Dry Herb Vape Parts:
- Power Button
A grinder is needed for the use of any dry herb pen. A grinder is a device that breaks down and crushes cannabis buds into to a fine, even grit. There are two popular types of grinders:
Metal grinders are the most effective type of cannabis grinder on the market. This circular product is not only extremely durable, but their strong metal “teeth” make it extremely easy to break down any kind of bud. All you do is twist it!
A card grinder looks much like a typical Pokémon card, but instead of a having a picture of JigglyPuff in the middle, the card has a grated center. The way to use this type of grinder is exactly how you would use a cheese grater; simply rub the bud over the grated metal center and grind the herb!
Preparation Your Dry Herb Vape:
- Remove the cap (mouthpiece.)
- Load your ground herb into the chamber. Do this gently with your fingers and do not overfill the chamber.
- Pack the herb down into the chamber making sure that there is still room for air to pass through.
- Replace the mouthpiece back on the chamber.
Using Your Dry Herb Vape:
- Heat up your pen. This takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute.
- Adjust the temperature to the desired heat. Keep in mind that a lower temperature gives you more flavor and a higher temperature gives you a stronger hit.
- Inhale from the mouthpiece for about 8 seconds or less and enjoy!
THC Combustion Point & Optimal Temperatures
As it pertains to weed vaporizer temps, the best temperature for dry herb vaping ranges based on the following:
The most common and safest weed vaporizing temperature is about 395°F. Be careful not to exceed 430°F as your pen is at risk for combustion. If you’ve never used a dry herb pen, the recommended starting temperature is 360°F.
However, when it comes to finding the perfect temperature for vaping weed, each individual may have their own personal preferences.
Cleaning a dry herb Vape Pen is extremely important as the herb gets sticky from the heat. There is a small tool that is recommended for cleaning the chamber of your vape pen which can also be used for packing your herb.
This tool, simply called The Tool, has a small, spoon-shaped tip that allows you to scoop the sticky, leftover residue from your chamber.
If you fail to clean the chamber after each use, the sticky residue will turn into a waxy substance that is almost impossible to remove. This residue will result in a restriction of airflow which will block you from inhalation.
It is also recommended that you store your vaporizing pen in a case to avoid breaking the pen.
3. TABLETOP VAPES
Also known as Desktop Vaporizers, tabletop vapes are designed for home use. Although they are not good for portable vaporizing, tabletop Vapes gives you good vapor production and are known to have effective results.
Tabletop Vape Parts:
- Drip Tip or Mouthpiece
- Whip or Hose
- Heating Chamber
Preparing Your Tabletop Vape
- Plug in your vaporizer and heat to the desired temperature.
- Grind your herb and load into the wand
- Pack the herb into the wand until it’s about ⅓ full.
- Pack it lightly to make sure that air can still flow through the whip.
Using Your Tabletop Vape
- Let the vaporizer sit for about 2 minutes
- Place the tip of the wand on the heating element.
- Use the whip (or hose) to slowly inhale and remove the tip of the wand from the heating element just before you finish inhaling.
The remaining residue of your herb should be a brown, sticky substance. If the residue is black or has turned to ash, set your vape to a lower temperature next time you use it, otherwise, you will burn your herb and Vape.
Remove the whip and mouthpiece and soak it in either alcohol or boiling water to remove residue for about 15 minutes.
For best results, take a paper towel and clean any remaining residue from the whip for best results
Vape Temps – what you should know
The ideal temperature for a vaporizer is about personal preference and medical needs. So yeah, I can’t tell you the perfect temp to vape, because there isn’t one, but I can tell you which vape to buy so you can start experimenting with precise control over temperature and effects.
Temperature as a Tool
Use the chart above to reference which effects you are seeking. Experiment by starting at a lower temperature and slowly move higher up the temp spectrum and observe your physical and mental states, pay attention to your body.
Vaporizing lets you relax and focus on the process of feeling the effects build up. Smoking is harsh and tends to hit you right away. Vaporizing, on the other hand, is a little more subtle to start off and builds over time. There is more of a curve from normal to high than a rocket straight up in the air. Now inhaling a full bag from the Volcano will bring about effects right away, but the full effects aren’t present for a few minutes or more.
The point of all this is to try and focus our attention on the changes, to become more aware of the subtle medical properties of cannabis when we have more control over the temperatures we have more control over the effects.
Smoke vs Vapor
The boiling point of THC is 315°F, but active vapors start forming nearly 100° before that. When temperatures reach combustion (451°F) tars and other undesirable compounds such as benzene and dioxins are released (see the full list of 111 chemicals found in smoke) into the air. When ignited, temperatures soar to 600°F or higher.
The perfect temperature for dry herbs.
The ideal temperature for herb that is less dry, but not sticky.
This temperature is for sticky herbs.
When it’s sticky and dense, set it to this temperature.
This is for the densest, dank herbs and requires a hotter temperature.
In the End
Not only are vaporizers safer, healthier, less expensive, and easier to use than smoking, but a Vape produces more potent and flavorful hits.
What it really comes down to is personal preference; if you are a health conscious or private person, choosing to use a Vape Pen or desktop vaporizer will probably be the better option when it comes to the consumption of cannabis.